I. Personal Data
Adress: I.M. Klein No. 5, 3400, Cluj Napoca, Romania, telefon: (+40264)439032
1985 Doctor in Social Psychology, "Babes-Bolyai" University Cluj Napoca;
1969 BA in Psychology, "Babes-Bolyai" University Cluj Napoca, Faculty of History and Philosophy.
III. Academic Career
1970-1977 Researcher at the Sociology Department, "Babes-Bolyai" Univ. Cluj Napoca;
1977-1990 Assistant professor at the Sociology Department, "Babes-Bolyai" Univ. Cluj Napoca;
1990-1996 Professor at the Sociology Department of the "Babes-Bolyai" Univ. Cluj Napoca;
1996-Present Full professor at the Sociology Department, "Babes-Bolyai" Univ. Cluj Napoca;
1999-Present Supervisor in the Doctoral Program of Sociology Department, "Babes-Bolyai" Univ. Cluj Napoca.
IV. Scholarships and Additional Qualifications
2006 Workshop at Department of Anthropology, Connecticut State University;
2005 Visiting Professor at University of Chicago and Darmouth College;
2003 Workshop at Departament of Sociology, University of Chicago;
2001 Workshop on Teaching Methods at the Department of Anthropology, Social Psychology, and Sociology, Darmouth College, Connecticut State University (one month);
1991 Fulbright Research Program on Rationality, Values, and Collective Behavior (supervisor: prof. James Coleman), University of Chicago (six month);
1990 Research at the France University and the Ethnological Research Center;
1990 Summer School at Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia (two weeks);
1977 Research Program at the Anthropology Department of the Amherst University (three month);
1976 Research at the Institute of Youth Problems, München (two weeks).
English, Romanian, French
VI. Teaching activity
- Courses: The Sociology of the Family, Social Psychology, Public Opinion, Qualitative Methods at the Faculty of Sociology and Social Work and the Faculty of History and Philosophy of the "Babes-Bolyai" University Cluj-Napoca;
- Supervising BA theses;
- Supervising PhD dissertations;
- Head of the Distance Learning Program of the Faculty of Sociology and Social Assistance, "Babes-Bolyai" Univ. Cluj-Napoca.
VII. Professional activity
- Participant at more than 20 research programs; the recent on (2005-2006) is about Social Capital and Social Policy in UE countries and Bulgaria and Romania, managed by London School of Economics and Political Sciences;
- Project manager at more than 10 research projects concerning value-orientation of the youth, changes in the family, and gender issues.
VIII. Professional affiliations
- Member of the editorial board of the Romanian Journal of Sociology;
- Member of the editorial board of the scientific journal Studia;
- Member of the Association of the Sociologists from Romania;
- Member of the Association of the Sociologists from Transylvania;
- Member of Babes-Bolyai Studia Board;
- Member of Sociological Romanian Review Board;
- Expert (Evaluator) at Level of National Research Project (CNCSIS).
IX. Conferences and Symposiums
- Participant at about forty national and international conferences that took place in Romania;
- Participant at eight conferences from abroad, namely Bulgaria, France, Germany, the USA, and Yugoslavia;
- Recent conferences in USA (University of Chicago, Darmouth College, Connecticut State University) on topics regarding Gender issues in Romania. Family's time use, social and health problems.
X. Fields of interest
Topics regarding the family and gender issues (focused on domestically work asymmetry, intergenerational exchanges in large family, pendulatory migration and family life), mentality and value-system changes, combining qualitative and quantitative methods in the social research.
- Co-author of six volumes, author of five volumes, and more than 50 articles in scientific journals
- Recent publications:
The Relevance of Group Interview in Oral History Research in "Annuar", No. 1/2002, Cluj-Napoca;
The Self and Approaches to Self-Knowledge, 2001, Iasi: Polirom;
The Illusion of the Localism and the Localization of Illusion, 2000, Iasi: Polirom;
Values, Attitudes and Social Behaviors, 2004, Iasi: Polirom;
Sociopsychology and Anthropology of Family, 2005, Iasi: Polirom.
- Other publications (Books):
Psihologie socială (coautor), Cluj-Napoca: Editura Exe, 1994;
Structurile axiologice din perspectivă psihosocială, Bucureşti: Editura Didactica şi Pedagogică, 1995;
Abordarea calitativă a socioumanului, Iaşi: Editura Polirom, 1997;
Enciclopedia de psihosociologie (coordonator şi coautor), Bucureşti: Editura Economică, 2003;
România socială. Drumul schimbării şi al integrării europene (coordonator), Cluj-Napoca: Editura Eidon, 2005;
Ancheta sociologică şi sondajul de opinie (coautor), ediţie revăzută şi adaugită, Iasi: Editura Polirom, 2006;
Dimensiuni ale familiei actuale din România (coordonator şi coautor), Cluj-Napoca: Editura Presa Universitara Clujana, 2007.